A Travellerspoint blog

Day 47 London

Monday 4th June Bank Holiday for Queens' Jubilee

Well here we are in London and right in the middle of the Queen's 60th Jubilee. Totally by chance that this happened but still a great time to be there. She came to the throne when I was born and it was also my 60th Jubilee of my birthday in February. The crowds are huge!!!! All decked out in their red, white and blue and bunting makes the festivities everywhere look something like what you see when WWII ended. It is such a fun place to be even though it is wet, windy and cold a lot of the time. So many umbrella shops in London. Back to "our Local" as we are calling the Pub, for our English breakfast. Just as well we are only in London for a short time as we soon won't fit our clothes with all these English Pub Meals which are just so yummy and irrisistable. After breakfast we got the tube at Bayswater Station, just up the road and went in to the Westminster Station. That was fun but the most unfortable moment for Des and I in London, happened as we came up the stairs from the tube station at Westminster to the incredible sight before our eyes of Big Ben and the houses of Parliment surrounding it. We just were not expecting this amazing site. Here it is in all its glory and Westminster Abbey just beside it as well. OMG we just stood and gaped at the sight. The opulence! We walked around that area and then walked over Westminster Bridge to go to our Champagne trip on the London Eye which was right there also. Although it had been dull and murky, as we boarded the London Eye for our trip and Champagne experience, the sun suddenly came out for us and stayed with us through the half hour we were on the Eye. What a wonderful way to see London... sipping Champagne while looking at the amazing view of London high up. We could see most sights except London Bridge. That however, we later saw and thought Nah! that really was pretty ordinary compared to so many of the other bridges on the Thames. That was a bit of a let down. Maybe next time they build it, and it has been rebuilt a few times, they will make it have some WOW factors.

We then had a three hour trip on the "Hop on Hop off" bus which we had booked for 2 days from New Zealand. Anyone reading this blog for info on what to do in London, may I suggest you don't do that. It was cheaper and quicker to go by tube to everywhere. It was good for orientation but to do the complete circuit in Jubilee stop start traffic, was actually really time wasting, when you only have 3 days there. If we had chosen to get off at some of the cool sights we passed, we could have been waiting a long time for the next bus to take us further on. Because of this we have missed going to many places e.g. Harrods, St Pauls Cathedral, Buckingham Palace and the changing of the Guards. This just means WE HAVE TO GO BACK EH. Next time, we will spend a week in London and hopefully the Queen will be staying at home that week and there won't be so many people in town. We did pass Buckingham Palace and could see in at all the preparation for the Queen's concert in the Palace grounds that was happening that night and would be screened worldwide. We did see him and also, on a big screen, as we passed slowly by in the traffic, Sir Paul MacCartney practising right there. He always was my heart throb when I was a teenager in the 1960's. I had him plastered all over my bedroom walls in those days. I never cared much for the other Beatles. So that was pretty special to see him in the flesh, so to speak.
As we travelled around in the double decker bus, we have never seen so many Police, Policecars, People, Ambulances, Guards and Security. What a nightmare it all must be to arrange anything to do with organisation and security for Royalty. We were so impressed with our bus driver doing such a great job of manoevering through all this safely and never getting upset or stressed. Glad it wasn't us driving in London.

Next, was our boat trip up the river Thames. Both this and the London Eye were part of a great deal along with high tea at the Orangery in Kensington Gardens, Lisa had booked for us, with our accommodation in London. Well we had to do this all in our short visit to London of course. The boat trip was a nice way to see London too, although it was not long enough. On reflection, I would probably look at all the different boat trips up the Thames and all the different double decker bus trips that are available when I got to London next time so you are not STUCK with one company who may not be as good perhaps. They all do good deals and some look better than what we experienced. Just something to keep in the back of our minds for next time we think.

Back to our "local Pub" for yet another meal. How boring you may say but hell it was soooooo goood. They were so friendly too and it was soooo warm in there. Yep, summer in London is a good time to find a really warm pub to sit in away from the cold wind and rain. We Knew how to get to it and how to get back to the Hotel by then, needless to say and we had by now eaten our way through Singapore, Italy and Switzerland, always eating at different places so we needed some same same by then I think. Off to our cosy hotel to settle down and watch the concert on TV just like you all did here in NZ I am sure. For us, it was about 1 mile down the road. It absolutely brought that home to us when the fireworks went off in the show and we were watching it live and hearing them outside just as loudly. Normally we are thousands of miles away from Royal festivities and certianly do not hear the fireworks right outside. Wow that was a bit like seeing Big Ben in a way as it really brought it home to us... here we were... these little old Kiwis finally here in London!

Posted by RitchieOE 21:44 Comments (0)

Gothenburg to London

Day 46 Sun 3rd June

A very comfortable sleep in our lovely B & B and then to breakfast with the largest choice of food I have ever seen and that is even in the hotels we have had breakfast it. It put my B&B breakfast choices to shame really. This B&B has 4 rooms which are full everyday and the owners never get a break. They would love to come to NZ but aren't able to leave the B&B. Not the way our 2 roomed B&B runs. Anyway, since we have returned to NZ, we actually have now closed our B&B for a couple of years and will re-evaluate it at a later stage.
Bjorge, our friend, came to pick us up after breakfast as arranged, and took us sightseeing in Gothenburg. It was so lovely to see this friendly Swede again. He took us to the highest point to get a 360 degree view of the town and the Gota Canal. He then took us to see a reproduction of another ship which had sunk in the harbour and had been located about 30 years ago. It had been a trading ship that went to China for trade. The reproduction has also made the same voyage very successfully. The boat is painted blue and yellow (the Swedish colours) and looks very much like a small version of the Vasa so of course, it is also a Galleon. There certainly seems to have been many galleons lost in Sweden we noted.
From there, we went back to Bjorge's home for lunch with Annalie, his wife who had also visited our B &B in NZ last year. We so enjoyed sitting in the conservatory in the sun with their beautiful garden outside and seeing another Swedish home and the lovely communal area that they live in. Sadly, we did not see any of their children though. Bjorge kindly dropped us at the airport in the afternoon for our 2 hour flight with SAS (Swedish Airways) to Heathrow. Thank you so much Bjorge and Annalie for your wondeful hospitality. We had a great time with you and hope to see you again at some stage.

Smooth flight once again and no queues at Heathrow for us. When we got to baggage claim, our bags were already waiting there for us there. We are so glad it wasn't now with all the queues at Heathrow with the Olympics. This day, sunday 3rd of June was the day of the 1000 floatilla of ships down the Thames to honour the Queen's Jubilee. A very wet day but by the time we got to Heathrow, this had all happened and the whole of the Heathrow must have been in town as it was amazingly quiet at the airport. In fact quieter than Auckland Airport on a normal day I think. Our pickup was a little late so we were actually waiting for him instead of the other way around. This was certainly a typical day in London weatherwise. By now it was summer, but it was cold, dull and wet so we saw that was what London is like on a normal day. Our serviced apartment was, although in the bowels of this very flash place, very nice and as we like it, quiet too. It was in Bayswater so easy to get around and near the shops/pubs in Queensway, Notting Hill. 2 tube stations very close by as well as Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens within walking distance. We even had our first load of washing washed, dried and folded all for free. YAY. My real problem was washing on our trip so that was a real welcome for me. Queensway had great British Pub meals. This was the area Fleur first lived in when she went to London when she was 19 years old. This was good for us to see this area as we never managed to get over to see her when she was in London all those years ago, before Tim died. (Fleur and Tim were our Twins for those of you reading this and don't know).
This weather was preparing us for our return to NZ and winter and it certainly was just like it is today, (Cold, wet and horrible) The difference being it is winter here and it was summer there. :)
We, apart from the weather, were loving London. It was absolutely buzzing with all the royalty bunting and people coming to London to see the Queen and it felt like one big party there. It was really fantastic to be part of all the excitement. The Royals always seem so far away to us in NZ so it was actually fun to be there at this time, not that we saw any of them of course. They could have been hiding behind the thousands of police and police vehicles that we did see though. We have never even imagined such a big police contingent. They must have come from all over England to be part of that security and organisation to stage such an event.

Posted by RitchieOE 15:46 Comments (0)

Ruda to Granna Sweden

Day 44 Fri 1st June

Cloudy then wet, wet, wet by the time we got to Granna.
Today, at my request, we drove to Granna (pronounced Grenna) It took 2 1/2 hours to get there. The reason I wanted to go to the other side of Sweden, actually up near the Gota Canal, was simply that I, as Grandmother to Jenna, am not called Nana or Grandma, but I chose to combine the two words and I asked Lisa and Anton if I could be called Granna instead - just to be a bit different from the norm. (Hey thats me!)
While researching Sweden, I came across this town which is noted for its rock candy businesses, with the same name as me, so I wanted to go there. I wanted to have a picture with me pointing to the town sign, to show Jenna when she is old enough to understand. I am sure she will want to know what Granna did on her big OE. Stupid I know, but its what I wanted to do. Kris drove again, I map read with Tony and Des in the back and off we went to fulfil my little hearts desire. I did sense a bit of unwillingness to go all that way, by my fellow passengers, you know.
Although it was absolutely pouring by the time we got there, we did find it a quaint little town with lots of history in the Museum, where Tony and Kris went. We all enjoyed watching how rock candy was made. We even sampled it and brought some home to New Zealand, as you do. Des and I went for a walk around the town in the freezing rain and we all met up in a warm little cafe for traditional swedish food for lunch before starting on the long journey home again. Granna is set on the canal with an island in the middle. A boat trip to it would have been a very picuresque thing to do, had the weather been kinder to us. Maybe, we will go back there some day perhaps. Granna is a holiday destination for Swedes.
We drove home via Eksjo and had a yummy afternoon tea in a warm cafe. Although it was supposedly summer now in Sweden, today was not.
We needed to get home early as we had to clean the cottage today before our early morning departure the next day.

Day 45 Ruda to Gothenburg Sat 2nd June

Up at 6.15am to do the final cleaning of the cottage, eat breakfast, finish packing and leave by 7.30am. Once again, Kris drove us to our drop off point of Alvesta. Tony and Kris then continued on to Lund, in the south, where the car was to be returned to the rental car company. Des and I caught a bus from Alvesta as the railway line was closed that morning due to repairs being done on the line. We were to meet up with the train half way along the track, at Hesta, (about 1 1/2 hours on from Alvesta), Here we would continue our journey to Gotherburg by rail. The bus journey was really interesting, seeing different scenery. There was a lady with a very large dog on board with her. The dog sat in the isle and blocked the passageway for the journey. He was very friendly and kept visiting everyone nearby, us included, for a pat. He obviously was quite used to being on the bus as he was totally unfazed by it all. The lady was visiting her Grandchildren in Gothenburg. She told us he had to go in a special compartment on the train but the bus accepted dogs happily. What is it with the English and Europeans with all their dogs, we wonder. They go everywhere with them and its not an offence to have your dog absolutely anywhere with you. New Zealand laws are definitely different and certainly much stricter. We transferred to the train at Hesta and settled in for our comfortable journey on to Gothenburg, the second largest town in Sweden. Stockholm is the largest of course. We noticed lots of young people in "grunge type" clothing, so no different to home really. We taxied to our B & B "Alfikosen" which is a very old 3 storey brick building in a beautiful area. The B&B owners told us it has been in their family for several generations and they had converted it into a very plush B&B with plenty of space in each "apartment". Particularly spacious and plush after our cramped conditions in Ruda for the last 5 days.
What lovely people this couple were, especially the Yvonne. She should be on the stage we decided, as she was so full of life and hillarious to have a conversation with. No language barrier there - not even the "bad" language. We were greeted with Swedish wine and Swiss chocolate in our room and she was very interested in these people from "down under" who also owned a B&B. We would totally recommend Alfikosen B & B in Gothenburg, Sweden should you need accommodation in that part of the world. She was recomended to us by guests from Gothenburg who had stayed in our B&B the previous year.
A tram trip into the town after settling in to our B&B, to view the fabulous Museum where there are remnants of a Viking ship and many Viking implements, jewellery and coins from those very early times. This made for a really interesting and worthwhile place to visit. We then headed into the town to look around and had dinner at Burger King. Yes, it is there too. Back on the tram and back to our very comfy and quiet B & B after having contacted Bjorge, our Swedish guest who stayed with us. He had arranged to pick us up in the morning and take us for a tour of his town of Gothenburg. As tomorrow is to be our last day in Sweden, we were so happy he offered to do this for us. Another kind generous guest we have had stay with us in our B&B.

Posted by RitchieOE 16:53 Comments (0)

Visit to Kalma and the Island of Oland in Sweden

Day 42 Wed 30th May

Firstly, we drove into the forest near our cottage. We went to see where our great Grandmother, Jenny (Nee) Forsman, Engstrom, was born. The tiny village called Kraksmala, where the largest thing is the big red wooden church with its typical red wooden bell tower close by. These are quiet different to others we have see. They are very decorative and separate to the churches. We found the church unlocked so we went in. The organist was practicing for a wedding that coming weekend and as we all walked in she began to play the Wedding March. She got a bit of a shock when she looked in her mirror to find 4 complete stangers walking solomly down the aisle to her music. There were no Forsmans in the cemetery so off we went through the forest again and on to Kalmar, further in the south. A nice day to travel with sunshine but still a bit cold. Kalmar is a much larger town with a wonderful castle from 1180 called Kalmar Slott. Slott is castle in Swedish. It was wonderfully old, with a moat and everything. Still not as good as the Castle in Spiez in Switzerland we had visited. We loved how the people working in the castle dressed in period costume and strolled through the Castle just as though they were part of the everyday life of the time. Des even sat in a throne pretending to be the King of Sweden, while Tony knelt before him. You may have see that photo on Face Book.

Next, we headed to Kalmar Lan Museum. This was mostly about another ship like the Vasa that also tipped over in the wind. They didn't design the galleons well in those days. They were aparently too tall and too narrow so they just fell over. This time, 800 people lost their lives. While the museum was also well done, it was nothing like the Vasa Museum in Stockholm. No boat as yet in this museum as they are still collating every find. We had a wonderful lunch in the Museum and looked around the old part of the town of Kalmar before driving to the island of Oland. This has a 16 km long bridge to get to it by car. We were running out of day so we only saw a small part of Oland, just to see what it was like, across from Kalmar. We saw windmills and an old rune Stone which was very interesting and worth seeing.
I would like to see more of Oland someday perhaps. It had a good island feel to it. Once again Kris was our driver. She is very good and has the youngest head, so helpful when driving on the other side of the road. Its quite a long drive to back to Ruda so we headed back to our little cottage where Kris made dinner tonight as well as doing all the driving today. Note to oneself, take Kris back with us next time we go to Sweden!!! Good driver and good meal maker thanks Kris for all your energy. She is also very brave going for runs and not been scared of Bears. he he :)

As soon as we got home, Hans, our cottage owner came rushing over with several copies of the Barometern newspaper with our article about our trip to Botterum yesterday. I can see my name is mentioned, but what I said is in Swedish of course, so I do hope the reporter got it right. He could have printed anything about us really. The photo is lovely of the four of us on the doorstep of our ancestral home. Tony spent that evening taking photos of the low ceilings and small rooms with tiny doors in the cottage. He was by now, getting over his flu symptoms but was now getting bruised from banging his head on the tops of the doors, lights and cupboards.

Day 44 Ruda to Vimmerby Thursday 31st May Yay Much warmer today with plenty of sunshine too.

We began the day by going back to Botterum. This time, just the four of us which was really nice to have the time to look around without everyone else there. We couldn't go inside this time as there was no guide and the house was locked up but we wanted to see all the other buildings and the garden, that is so beautifully maintained. All the buildings are marked with signs in Swedish as to what they were and when they were built or lived in. We spent quite a good amount of time and plenty more photos taken of this very special place to us, on the other side of the world that we have links too. I could imagine my Grandfather as a boy, running through the gardens and across the road, in the forest where I walked to the other buildings. One of the buildings near the house is the old Courthouse and across the road there is a small jail. There is also a mixture of farm buildings still being used as well. Tony and I took some wonderful photos of him and I in Grandfather's garden and this was actually a very special brother and sister time for us. I am sure our Grandfather and our dear Mum, Elsa would have been happily watching us from heaven. We did feel sad that our Mum had never been to Botterum as her Father told her so much about it. I did take note that the stables area where cows were housed now, was a newer building than any other one there. We are still trying to get some concrete evidence about what our Mother told us happened to her Grandfather, when her Father was 13 years old. She told us he was killed in a fire in the stable trying to save the horses in there. It was soon after that, that the young Carl (the youngest child) and his Mother and some of his siblings (there were 9 altogether) left Botterum and went to live in Lund in the south of Sweden with one of the elder daughters. It was only 2 years later, when he was 15, that Carl left home, to go to sea where he eventually jumped ship in Wellington, NewZealand at the age of 18. We really hope we find the true story of what really happened to our Great Grandfather.

From Botterum, we headed north 75km to Vimmerby. Kristen and I,as young girls, had both enjoyed Astrid Lindgren's books about Pippi Longstocking and Kris is infact, reading these stories to her Daughter, Iris and Son, Nico at present. Our girls Lisa and Fleur had also enjoyed them when they were young. So Kris and I decided we needed to visit Vimmerby where Astrid Lindgren had been born, lived and died. There, her house is a museum and there is also a themepark dedicated to her. Many families with very small children were enjoying the theme park that day. I really enjoyed watching how loving and attentive the parents are with their children in Sweden. This year is Astrid's 10th anniversary of her death. 1006 - 2002. Pippi Longstocking is her most famous stories about a tom boy of a girl who lived by herself and was a real mischief maker. She did what she wanted and dressed how she wanted. There were areas at the theme park where different stories written by Astrid, were enacted. The little children knew the stories well and were very exited about them, especially when they could get up close and personal with that famous Pippi Longstocking herself. She was a real celebrety to the children. All the acts where in Swedish of course but we certainly enjoyed it as well. There was also a ride there, which we all went on. It was similar to a ghost ride car at the Easter show. It took you on a journey into the 1960 - 1970's TV series she wrote. This was unknown to us in New Zealand but still fun to go on. There was also a miniature of the town of Vimmerby, which is just up the road. Perfectly to scale and such a fun for little ones to play in all the shops. We then went on to the real lifesize town of Vimmerby and saw all those shops, even the hotel. Further down the road, we found a pub that brewed Swedish beer so Tony was happy too.

By the time we got home, we had been out for 11 hours and still needed to have dinner. Hans, again, appeared at the small low door, this time to explain some Swedish translations of family information he had photocopied for us earlier today. It was all very helpful in piecing together our ancestry and how our family fitted in at Botterum. Tony has done so much research on our family history and this huge pile of photocopies that Hans had for us was amazing help in our puzzle. His wife, Corine, works at the Hogsby library and he had been able to look up information for us. He is also into ancestry tracing as Tony is, so he had offered to do this for Tony. Hans was born in the house that he still lives in which is on the same property as our little cottage. This means for him, the area and its people from the past are part of his life too. He would be about my age I think. 60ish. We really appreciate all he did for us.

Posted by RitchieOE 00:40 Comments (0)

The big day has arrived Visiting Botterum in Sweden

Day 41 29th May 2012

A cold day in southern Sweden,so we drove into Hogsby to get breakfast in a cafe, instead of making it in the cottage. Hogsby is the small town,(village really), where our Grandfather had attended church. It is quite a trek from Botterum to Hogsby, so it would have been a day trip in those days. Hogsby was very interesting. The street had shops that just looked like houses. Hardly any had advertising or shop window fronts displaying what they might sell. We found a cafe with directions from 2 helpful swedish townsfolk. By this time it was not really breakfast time and the cafe only sold the local sweet treats and muffins.They were very delicious but not really the breakfast bacon and eggs stuff we were hoping for. Thats OK - when in Sweden, do as the Swedes do as the saying goes ... or is that Rome?

Des and Kris found the supermarket which we should have gone to the previous night and bought groceries for the 5 days in our cottage. Tony and I went to look at the Hogsby church where our Grandfather attended. It is a Lutheran church, as are most churches in Sweden. Very lovely and old but locked - pity. By this time of my journey I had been to many many churches and catherdrals. I certainly wanted to see inside this one. We walked on to look in the graveyard for any Engstroms. None to be found but then we saw the office open across the little river so we walked over the old bridge to enquire about Engstrom graves. While Tony was doing this, I met a man standing outside having a cigarette. He turned out to be the Reverend for the church. I spied his dog collar and that was my lead into a great conversation with him. He then came into the office and explained that all the old records were now no longer stored there due to no more room available. He then offered to walk us back over the bridge to the church and unlock it and take us in. Oh wow, that was fantastic! He took us on a guided tour of the church explaining about all the wonderfully beautiful wooden carvings from the 1400's. The church standing now, had been remodelled in the 1600's so it was actually how it would have been when our Grandfather, Carl Engstrom attended in the 1800's, with his family from Botterum.

We went back to our cottage for lunch as we had our appointment at 2pm to meet our English speaking guide, Brit Marie at Botterum. This home of our Grandfather is now a museum which is only open in the warmer months and it was spring/summer here now. There, we were also to meet another cousin Fredrick, his wife and daughter. They had travelled 2 hours by car from furth south, to come to see Botterum for the first time as well. Even though they are all Swedes themselves, they had never been there. As Tony, Kris, Des and I drove into the driveway, we were met by quite a large group of people, all eager to meet us. I felt a bit overwhelmed by this as this was also the first time I have seen the huge home standing gracefully beside the road ( infact, not far away from where we had the blowout the night before). With other smaller buildings all around it that also belonged to the estate and even some on the other side of the road as well. There was even a flag pole bearing the Swedish flag.

Also there, waiting for us to arrive were the owners of our cottage, Hans and Carina, Aino, a woman Tony knew from his previous visit to Sweden and Botterum in 2010 and a reporter from the local newspaper " Barometern" This paper was started in the 1700's by our Great great Grandfather and is produced in Hosby, where we had been in the morning. Tony's friend Aino had apparently arranged the reporter as this was big news for the small local district, that 4 ancestors had travelled from the other side of the world to see the ancestral home of their Grandfather. There was great excitement firstly, looking at the outside of the building as we got out of the car, then meeting the second lot of relatives since being in Sweden, meeting Aino Tony's friend, Brit Marie, the lovely local guide and seeing Hans and Carina, our cottage owners wanting to be part of this afternoon and then being interviewed and photographed by the local newspaper for the occassion. I cannot tell you how overwhelming this was but then it was time to go in. All this had happened outside the homestead and Brit Marie then called us to the door. Tony,Kris, Des and I were invited in first. The others stayed behind until we were inside. Kris and I went first with Tony and Des following us. All the doorways both to the outside and inside, through every room have a high step to go over. This is the threshold of course and now we understand what threshold actually means. Its purpose was to hold the thresh covering the floor in early days, within the boundaries of that room. Thresh being like long grasses or straw which would keep the floors warm before the days of carpets and matting. Well Kris and I stepped over that threshold at the front door and as we did that and looked in at where my Grandfather and Kris's Great Grandfather had been born and lived as a boy, we saw the opulence within the homestead. She and I both at the same time, burst into uncontrollable sobs. We looked at each other and just hugged each other as neither of us could believe we were to be affected like this. I have an amazing memory of this afternoon that I hope never to forget. Tony and Des felt the same but they are men and Tony had felt the this also when he visited the first time, in 2010.

This 3 storey red wooden homestead with its typical white wooden windows and its orange tiled roof still looks as it did in the 1800's. Inside it is furnished with antique furniture of that period and from the 1700's, when it had been originally rebuilt. One bedroom is called the Engstrom wing and it has furniture that belonged to our ancestors. That room was probably where our Grandfather was born and there was even a cradle in there. This was a very powerful room for me.

The homestead was originally a tavern in the 16th century which was the precursor to the hostelry which appeared in the 17th century. In the 17th century a court began being held at Botterum as the hostelry already existed here. When the court began sitting there, the building needed a refurbishment and by the 18th century Botterum was a well run hostelry and the older buildings were torn down in 1753 and the new timbered building was built. Soon a brew house and the other buildings were erected around the hostelry. By 1793, it was a very well run business and time for further enlargement. More rooms were added and the upper storey and this is the building that is there today. Our great grandfather added further buildings after he took over from his father and our ancestors continued running the hostelry until the end of the 18th century. Twin cousins of our Grandfather continued to live at Botterum until they died in the late 1920's.

The land and buildings are now owned by the Langemala Local Heritage Society which was formed in 1943. They purchased it in 1947 and in 1960, Botterum underwent comprehensive renovation which incuded the reinstatement of the original wall painting on canvas which had previously been papered over in the guest dining room. The roof was renovated in the 1990's using as much as possible, of the original hand made tiles. Much of this information is gleened from the booklet visitors can buy at Botterum and is published by the Langemala Heritage Society and the Municipality of Hogsy and and Kalmar County Museum. Kalmar is the region of Sweden we were in.

After this huge experience, Brit Marie then invited us to afternoon tea at her lovely home just down the road in the very small village of Langemala. Her house has had 7 generations of her family live in it since being built in the late 1800's.That was also another special time for us to see inside another home of people who would have been known to our Swedish family members then. We had also gone to the cemetary at Langemala where 2 of our ancestors are buried and we visited their graves. Brit Marie also took us inside the Langemala Lutheran church as she is custodian there. Carl would probably have attended church here also as it was considerably closer than the church in Hogsby.

Dinner back at the cottage of "bangers and mash" not very Swedish really. But after such an amazing day which we will treasure always this was a nice comfort meal to have in our 1850 red and white wooden cottage, which was tiny in comparison to Botterum but in a similar vane.

Posted by RitchieOE 15:09 Comments (0)

(Entries 11 - 15 of 47) « Page 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »